Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan
On approval of the "Rules of recruitment to the civil service in state bodies through competition"
In relation with implementation of clause 1.4 of Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan No 830 dated of 3 October 2008 "On enforcement of the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan "On amendments and additions made to the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan "On civil service", I hereby decree:
1. To approve "Rules of recruitment to the civil service in state bodies through competition" (attached).
2. To consider Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan No 566 dated of 3 September 2001 "On approval of the Rules of recruitment to the civil service in state bodies through competition" (Legislation Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan, 2001, No 9, article 581; 2003, No 8, article 441; 2007, No 8, article 768, No 9, article 873; 2008, No 5, article 363) as invalid.
3. To charge the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan to implement within one month the following actions:
3.1. To draft and submit to the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan proposals on bringing the effective legislative acts in compliance with this Decree;
3.2. To ensure bringing standard legal acts of the Cabinet of Ministers and relevant central executive power bodies in compliance with this Decree and inform the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan accordingly;
3.3. To define general conditions of holding of the vacant positions corresponding to the sixth-ninth categories of the administrative positions provided for in the second paragraph of clause 4 of the "Rules of recruitment to the civil service in state bodies through competition" approved by this Decree.
3.4. Within its authorities to settle other issues arisen from this Decree.
4. This Decree shall become effective from the day of its promulgation.
The President of the Republic of Azerbaijan
Baku, 24 June 2009
Approved by the Decree of the President
of the Republic of Azerbaijan
No 108 dated of 24 June 2009
Rules of recruitment to the civil service in state bodies through competition
1. In accordance with the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan "On civil service", citizens shall be recruited to the civil service on the competition or interview basis.
2. Unless otherwise regulated by other legislative acts, these Rules regulate recruitment to the civil service in state bodies through competition, including competition announcement, holding and making relevant decision on its results.
3. Citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan aged 16 owning professional skills in accordance with provisions of the relevant position, as well as meeting the requirements determined by the legislation for the civil service recruitment, shall be allowed to the competition for recruitment to the civil service regardless of race, nationality, religion, language, sex, social origin, property status, place of residence, beliefs, membership in social and other organizations.
4. In accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Civil Service Commission under the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan (hereinafter referred to as the Commission) shall announce a competition for the civil service recruitment on positions corresponding to the 6th-9th classification of administrative positions. An announcement is placed on the official web-site of the Commission and in other mass media. It is prohibited to announce the competition only for one gender representative, unless otherwise is provided for by the legislation. Announcement includes name of the vacant position, requirements set before the citizens wishing to hold this position, as well as other conditions required for work in the civil service.
General conditions of holding of the vacant positions corresponding to the 6th-9th classification of administrative positions shall be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan and job descriptions of the civil servants holding these positions shall be drafted by the heads of state bodies under these conditions.
5. Citizens to be recruited to the civil service (hereinafter referred to as the "candidates") may apply to the Commission within 30 days after competition announcement. Form of the application approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan may be sent electronically or through paper carriers. Candidates those who succeeded in the test examination provided for in the Rules shall submit the following documents to the Commission:
5.2.copy of the document confirming an identification;
5.3.personal list of the personnel register;
5.4.copy of the document on higher education;
5.5.copy of work-book (if any);
5.6.copy of documents certifying professional rank (if any);
5.8. other documents provided for by the legislation for some categories of civil servants.
Copies of documents shall be certified in determined order.
6.Receipt of the candidate's documents shall be performed as follows:
6.1. Documents received after deadline determined for documents receipt shall not be accepted (except for documents sent via mail within the stipulated term).
6.2. Commission shall check completion of documents, their compliance with conditions determined by the legislation and these Rules.
6.3. If when checking submitted documents, their incompleteness or incompliance with these Rules, as well as any contradiction is revealed, these documents shall be returned to a candidate within 3 working days and accepted after elimination of mentioned aspects in determined order.
Documents received from candidates shall be preliminarily verified to define availability of the civil service recruitment of the candidates in order determined by the legislation.
Applicants not meeting requirements defined by the legislation for the civil service recruitment or knowingly submitting incorrect information shall be removed from the competition.
If a candidate is removed from competition, the Commission shall submit him/her an official answer describing removal reasons from the competition within 5 working days.
7. Competition consists of test examination and interview.
8. Drafting, examination and approval of tests, organization, holding, evaluation rules of the test examination shall be determined by the Commission with consideration of administrative position classifications.
State Student Entrance Commission and other structures may be involved to test examination holding in determined order. In this case, these structures shall undertake required actions for holding of test examination within their authorities.
9. Information about test examination results shall be given in the official web-site of the Commission and other mass media. Upon request of a candidate, reference with marks scored in the test examination shall be given him/her within 2 days in approved form. Candidate with minimum 75% of possible score in the test examination in accordance with the 6th-7th classification of administrative positions, and candidate with minimum 70% of possible score in accordance with the 8th-9th classification of administrative position is considered as succeeded in the examination.
10. Persons succeeded in test examination shall submit the documents provided for in the 5th part of these Rules to the Commission within 10 working days and are allowed to interview. The interview shall be held within 30 days after completion of interview document receipt.
11. In order to hold the interview, the Commission establishes panel of interviewers. Panel of interviewers includes representatives of the relevant state bodies and Commission. Scientifics and experts in relevant areas may also be involved into this panel. Regulations of the panel of interviewers, rules of interview holding and pass marks shall be defined by the Commission.
The Commission informs a candidate about place and time of interview holding 5 days prior. List of candidates allowed to the interview shall be given to the head of panel of interviewers every time on day of interview holding prior to interview starting.
As only the interview starts, head of the panel of interviewers announces candidate lists and asks if any member of the panel of interviewers have objections. If any relative or personal relations exist, then the member of panel of interviewers shall reject its participation in the panel of interviewers. The candidate may reject any member of panel of interviewers if grounds exist. Such rejection shall be performed prior to interview starting.
An interview with each candidate shall be performed in the individual order and not less than 20 minutes.
12. Information about interview results shall be given in the official web-site of the Commission and other mass media. Upon request of a candidate, the Commission shall give him/her reference with marks scored in result of interview within 2 days in approved form.
13. Candidates succeeded in the test examination and interview, are considered as succeeded in the competition.
14. Head of the Commission takes relevant decision on competition results based on the reference about test examination and interview holding submitted thereto.
Unless otherwise is provided for in the legislation, when participating in announced competition persons are succeeded in the test examination and interview, they are presented to a head of relevant state body for appointment to the vacant position within 5 working days. Head of this state body shall select one of the candidates and accept him/her to the service as one-year probationer and appoint to the vacant position. Head of the state body shall inform the Commission about relevant taken decision within 10 working days after day of candidate presentation.
The candidates who are introduced to a head of state body for appointment to the vacant position, but not appointed, are kept as a reserve staff during 2 years both in the Commission and state body. If any analogical vacant positions appear during this period in this state body, the candidates shall be appointed to such position by his/her consent and relevant information shall be submitted to the Commission within 5 working days after appointment. If any analogical vacant positions appear during this period in other state bodies, the Commission presents these candidates by their consent to the heads of relevant state bodies for appointment and relevant information is submitted to the state body where such candidate is included as reserve staff within 5 working days after appointment.
These persons shall be removed from the reserve staff list upon completion of stipulated two years or appointment to administrative position within this period.
15. The Commission shall provide storing of documents related to the test examination and interview holding, including answer cards of candidates during 2 years after taking of relevant decision on competition results.
16. A candidate dissatisfied with results of test examination or interview may complaint to the appeal commission organized by the Commission within 5 days following placement of these results in the official web site of the Commission. Head of the appeal commission shall investigate and compare answer card of a complainant, relevant reference and other materials with participation of applicant. An appropriate decision shall be passed on the results of the complaint consideration. The applicant may appeal this decision in administrative order and (or) in a court.
17. All expenses related to the competition holding shall be financed within means provided for in the state budget for these aims.